Thursday, September 01, 2005

On my way out - sophie's trip to Sydney on 2001 jan.

Sydney (January - March)
Thanks be to God for the three-month ministry in Sydney. There were many " first-time" experiences and I learned much. The first time to visit an English-speaking country, the first time to transfer in an airport, the first time to take a long-distance flight, the first time to drive on the left side, the first time to preach twice in the same day, the first time to cook "drunken chicken legs", the first time to clean out the stomach and scales of fish, and the first time to make cross stitches.
My main ministry in Sydney was to work with pastor Wang, who is from Mainland China, and his wife Kate, a Australian. They are church planters serving a Mandarin Church which focuses on immigrants from Mainland China. Because I was not there long, I didn't begin any new activities. In addition to helping with various activities in the Sunday services, I did much visitation and some paper/computer work. The life there was more simple and less rushed than in Taipei.
In church, I made many Chinese friends. They were the same kind of people that I had once longed to know and understand when I worked for a gospel broadcasting company. Their pronunciation and tones made me feel close to them, which was exciting, and I started to imitate their accent. Sometimes, when my landlady came out with communist terms, I couldn't help laughing. Concerning the computer, I felt frustrated typing Beijing Pin Yin (the Chinese key-in method) and using simplified characters. But since I had worked for a broadcasting company that reached out to Chinese people, I was able to learn quickly.
Through visitations, I learned more about China during the past decades. The government closed the universities for ten years and sent the young people far away. Their intelligence and energy was wasted in farms and hard labor camps. Nowadays the immigrants' lives in Sydney aren't easy, either. Young couples invite their parents leave China, live with them, and take care of the children. They encounter cultural conflicts and also family conflicts. Immigrant marriages are often unstable due to one marriage partner adapting to the culture at a faster pace than the other partner. Singles find it hard to meet ideal spouses.
For hundreds of years, the Chinese have dreamed of going abroad for a better life. They have suffered from racial discrimination, unfair working situations, and loneliness as they adapt to a different language and culture. I couldn't forget the news about the Chinese government refusing to deal with the bodies of the Chinese who had died while being smuggled to England. After so many centuries, the Chinese are still suffering.
Recent personal and family situation
After returning from Sydney, I resumed the same two ministries in Taipei. The two courses that I am teaching at the seminary are brand new, and I didn't have the chance to prepare in advance. The ministry in Sung-Shan C&MA church has finished and I'll begin to help the Nei-Hu church. This summer I'll leave the seminary, too. The changes are challenging, but I believe it's practice for future adaptation.
There will be some changes in my family too. My first brother's wife is expecting a baby boy in May. My second brother has received permission to study his Ph.D. at the University of Washington. Cancers are still being found in my father's body. He may need to receive more injections. Please pray for his necessary treatments and for good results.
The next step
While in Sydney, I sensed God's strong love for the Chinese. I believe the new environment makes it easier for them to accept the gospel. Compared with Taiwan, where there are Christian TV and radio stations, Australia's Chinese Christian resources and Mandarin activities are much fewer. There are also fewer pastors, which means some of the Mandarin speaking people have to join Cantonese worship services. One Chinese C&MA church there is willing to respond to the needs of the Mandarin speaking people. They are raising finances, and preparing ministers to begin the Mandarin ministry, but it is still lacking finances. They have invited me to join them, but hope to get some financial support from the Taiwan churches, as well as practical assistance.
I know clearly, without a doubt, that I have been called to serve in Australia. If necessary, I'm willing to earn money there to help supplement my living expenses. I have decided to go as a new immigrant rather than as a missionary. That way, I can go sooner, and also learn more about their situation firsthand. Presently, I still need to complete the application process to join the C&MA in Australia, wait for the visa, and raise funds in Taiwan.
I never imagined that the three-month ministry would become a four-year commitment...
For me, just being able to take long-distance flights safely to and from Australia was a big step.
I still don't know where the funding will come from...
but I sincerely expect the same Lord who leads His commanders and soldiers will also keep leading me.
May you be enriched by Him in every way.

一至三月雪梨短宣
感謝神,帶領我平安在雪梨有三個月的學習事奉,收穫良多。第一次到英語國家,第一次轉機,第一次搭機超過五小時,第一次開車靠左走,第一次同一天講兩次道,第一次作醉雞,第一次清魚鱗和肚子,第一次作十字繡。
在那裡的主要服事是與來自中國大陸的傳道人夫婦同工,開拓以大陸人為福音對象的國語教會。因為自己只是短期參與,不適合開始新事工,所以除了主日服事之外,週間較著重在探訪和行政,與在台灣同時有神學院和教會工作比起來,單純許多。
澳洲人週休兩天,注重家庭和休閒生活,也因此我有機會接觸生活事務的學習,學習的成果也都成了探訪交誼的媒介。一般住在獨門獨院房子裏的人,可以養花、剪草、養寵物,還可以自己作木工、水電工,或是作衣服及各類家飾。那裏的本地牧者會固定放大假,並且認為是延長事奉壽命的健康作法,華人牧者的作風不一,有些人服事起來仍然像拼命三郎,全家總動員。
在教會中接觸到自己在福音廣播中曾經努力想瞭解和認識的中國朋友,十分親切,也覺得興奮,自己的語調和咬字也變得和他們相似。與房東談話時,「鬥爭」「矛盾」等陌生的用詞也時常令我感到好笑。接觸到教會的電腦,為著自己漢語拼音輸入法速度之慢和選簡體字之吃力感到沮喪,但也慶幸自己有過在福音廣播的底子,聊勝於無。
在許多家庭探訪的過程中,對中國「解放」(台灣課本所謂的「淪陷」)後的歷史和影響有了更進一步的瞭解,大學關了十年,許多人的年輕歲月就在偏遠的勞改營和農場裡虛度了。目前在雪梨的移民也不容易,年輕夫妻為了兼顧工作和帶孩子要請老人家來住,三代之間易生摩擦,對老人家的晚年生活也不公平;對新文化適應力的不同,動搖著移民的婚姻;單身的不易在異地找對象;老人家語言不通,經濟和行動受制於子女,或是為了帶孫子與老伴分別兩地…,中國人作了幾百年的淘金夢,到現在還是不斷有人湧到海外作第一代移民,忍受著種族歧視、工資和就業機會上的剝削、語言文化上的孤單,要給自己和家人更好的生活品質。有天在華文報上看到中國政府拒絕領回因偷渡而悶死在貨櫃裏的人蛇屍體,中國人的苦難始終縈繞在我腦海裡。

個人及家人近況
回台北之後,迅速投入忙碌的雙職工作中,神學院的兩門課都是新課程,在雪梨並沒有機會預備。在宣道會松山堂的配搭服事已告一段落,將轉往內湖堂幫忙,暑假也將離開台灣宣道神學院。對於自己服事的地點和對象一直在改變,感到少許適應上的疲倦,但相信這是神在操練我適應未來更多的變動。
家中今年也有許多變化。五月份大哥一家將再添一個寶寶,湊成一個「好」字。二哥已取得華盛頓大學入學許可,秋季將赴西雅圖入讀東亞研究所博士班。父親的身體仍然是淋巴癌的舞台,經過一段時間的「無為而治」,他再次需要注射藥劑以避免癌細胞的擴散。請為五月份新藥的注射能夠有效且不傷身體代禱。

未來事奉工場
在澳洲,我很強烈的感覺到神對中國人的愛,也相信海外的環境更易於向他們傳福音。與台灣有基督教電視台和電台相比,雪梨的國語資源和事工十分不足,說國語的傳道人也不多,一些大陸信徒只能參加粵語崇拜。有一所華人宣道會願意回應當地中國人的福音需要,著手預備開始國語崇拜的同工群和經費,這項事工還不到可以經濟獨立的階段,他們邀請我過去與他們同工,但期望能獲得台灣部分經費支持,也藉著兩地教會的聯繫,獲得日後組織赴澳短宣隊的支援。
我個人十分清楚神的呼召,沒有疑惑,也預備在雪梨或許需要兼職維生。對於自己究竟是宣教士或是新移民?我選擇與當地的中國人一樣,一方面得以更瞭解他們的生活(可能跟我念社會學愛觀察有關),享有政府的社會福利(可以減輕教會負擔),再方面也是考量到若在台灣尋找差會和支持的母會,將造成時間上的耽延。目前仍在進行的是申請加入澳洲宣道會的手續,居留簽證的申請,同時也要向台灣教會提出經費支持的申請計畫。
從未想過,去了雪梨三個月,要委身在那裡四年,
對我來說,這麼長途的飛行,能順利往返實屬恩典。
仍不明白,此行所需經費從何而來,
滿心期待,調兵遣將的主一路引導。